Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, March 08, 2020

Visiting

When we said Goodbye to Jim's mother in 2016, before heading off to Australia, she asked if we would ever come back for a visit.  Of course, said I.  "And will you come to see me?" she asked.  Yes, of COURSE, said I.

I hadn't expected it to be quite so long before we came back for a visit. But here we are and a promise is a promise. So we we went to see her.

She and Jim's dad are in a corner of the beautiful Nunton churchyard.  We took them some flowers - not yet out but with the promise of golden spring daffodils to come.  Someone had put a Christmas wreath there, so I popped the daffodils inside the wreath.  Christmas and Easter. A good combination.




The Nunton church is a pretty building





And a curious neighbour came ambling over to see what we were doing in the churchyard


We said goodbye to Mick and Gwen and drove through the New Forest to Lymington.  I had been hoping to have a light lunch in the Ship Inn but they couldn't fit us in for half an hour or so.



So we went here instead






And very nice it was too.

We had a gentle wander around the Quayside at Lymington and then drove out to Lepe Beach.  It is a very, very, VERY long time since I was last out at Lepe Beach. The last time I was there it was so windy we could hardly open the car door.  The sea was being blown over the parking area.  It was quite foggy.  It was much better yesterday.  It was also much busier. Not that you would think so from the beach photos





And then we went to Winchester, where we met Jim's son and his wife,  Jim's 2 granddaughters, a grandson in law and his 2 great grandsons for dinner in an Italian restaurant.  Clearly the Good People of Winchester have no fears of epidemics or viral infections.  The place was absolutely packed.  No photos of our gathering - it was quite hard to move around without impeding the waiters or running over other diners.

It was a very good day. And I slept extremely well last night.  I am the only person insured to drive our hire car thus I'm the only driver.  I did discover the great pleasure of orange and watermelon mocktails last evening so all was not lost :-D



Good King Alfred, standing guard over his little city

No comments:

Post a Comment