Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

From SS Quarantine #3

A quiet day yesterday, mainly doing useful domestic things.

I am trying to "spring" clean one room at a time. I didn't do that so much yesterday as tidy various categories of things up.  Like sorting out the winter and summer wardrobes. I think it's supposed to warm up a bit at the weekend but we've had the heating on since we got home and I thought it was likely that we would need our winter clothes more than the summer for now.

Jim ran the vacuum cleaner round. I swept the floors.  It's a thankless task sweeping our floors.  No sooner have you done it than bits of grass, leaf, mud, dust, whatever start making their way back in. Still, it needs to be done. Every so often, at least :-D

I put the soaker hose on the front garden yesterday evening. The ground is very dry and getting some of the weeds out was proving to be quite difficult.  The hose is on a timer so it turned itself off after the set time.  I intended to go out and turn the tap off before I went to bed. Sometimes the joint leaks and I don't want to pour water expensively and unnecessarily down the drain.  I forgot.

I remembered again when I woke up around midnight.  Reluctantly, I got out of my warm and cosy bed, put my dressing gown and slippers on and went out to check.  The joint was not leaking. I turned the tap off anyway. Then I looked up. And my reward for getting up in the night to check the tap  was a breathtakingly beautiful starry, starry sky.

I didn't hurry back in.

My other reward for checking the tap was that when I went back to sleep I didn't wake up again until 5:00. This may seem early to you but it is when my alarm goes off on Tuesdays and Fridays when I am off to work, so not an unreasonable time to wake up. And it is a huge improvement on waking at 3 or 4 and not being able to go back to sleep at all.

My front flower bed:



No comments:

Post a Comment