Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, March 30, 2020

From SS Quarantine #8

Last June I took out a subscription to Amazon Prime (Australia) so I could check out their video and TV service but mostly because they had just released a new series that I quite fancied watching.  I thought about trying it for a month but then  decided that wasn't long enough. After all, it might prove to be an unusual month and therefore not give an accurate picture of likely usage. So I thought about three months and decided that likewise, a winter quarter might not be typical of general usage.  So I took out a 12 month subscription.

And then didn't watch more than one episode of the program I had particularly wanted to watch.

You could hardly say that this has shaped up to be your typical 12 months, but yesterday Amazon Prime came into its own.  I received an email alerting me to the existence of a new series called The Test, about  Australian cricket post the ball tampering scandal.  There are 8 episodes.  Jim very happily watched 4 of them after lunch before drifting off to sleep. He'll watch the rest of them in a more measured way.  Then I watched a food and travel program.  My two favourite things combined :D

I may keep it after the subscription runs out.  And I should probably have a closer look at Apple TV+, which came with a years subscription when I upgraded my phone.  After all, we may be at home for quite some time. The government has stopped short of locking down people over 70 for now but is making very strong recommendations that people over 70 should stay at home unless there are pressing reasons to leave it.  Frankly, I think everyone should stay at home unless there is a pressing reason to leave.

I have no pressing reason to leave just for now.  Lindsey went out hunting and gathering yesterday and delivered unto our doorstep a positive mountain of food, including a supermarket rotisseried chicken, meat pies, bread, veg and other essentials such as wine and milk. She also delivered a block of fresh yeast that she got at the farm shop.  I have never, ever used fresh yeast.  I have no idea what to do with it.  It's sitting in the fridge while  I do some research.  The Quarantine Kitchen looks rather as though a bomb has hit it while I make soups, stocks and stews. My stockpot, slow cooker and largest saucepan have all been pressed into service. I may need another freezer!

We should be more than ok for sustenance until our quarantine finishes.

I was going to go out after lunch and tackle this


Then a storm arrived.  We had thunder, wind, rain, a sudden drop in temperature. The storm dropped 8ml of rain us in around 10 or 15 minutes and then went away, leaving a delightful late afternoon and evening.  Too late by then for me to go out and tidy up ready for seed planting.  I was happily ensconced in my chair playing with Amazon Prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment