Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, March 26, 2020

From SS Quarantine #4

I had quite a productive day yesterday.

I actually did some work.  Like real work. The work I get paid for.  The webpage needed updating. I fixed that but I might have a trawl through it and see what else needs to be done.

Work now has a Facebook page which had been set up but needed populating.  I did a bit of that yesterday and will mess about a bit more today.

I also had a happy time messing about in the kitchen.  I used the left over Yorkshire pudding batter to make some pancakes which I filled with cheese and caramelised onion and put in a baking dish with a jar of tomato and basil pasta sauce over the top.  We had half of that for lunch.  I made a mushroom and chicken risotto for dinner - inspired by something I ran across on Instagram.  My Instagram feed has quite a lot of food related things on it.

While I was poking about in the pantry cupboard I found two drink dispensers that I bought 18 months ago and which I have only used once.  I decided that they were not earning their keep and was about to put them in the "Take these to the Op Shop whenever Op Shops become available again" pile. Then I thought that perhaps they could be used to keep cooking oil in.  I cleaned them up and decanted the better part of a large bottle of canola oil into one. It looks great and makes dispensing oil more convenient.  But they were only very cheap from Kmart and they leak very slowly.  When all this is over (and always supposing we survive to the end) I might buy proper Mason jar drink dispensers for oil




In other news, I had a phone call from the Airport Shuttle Bus people yesterday asking if we still wanted to use the return part of our tickets.  I said that we were now back home and couldn't see that we would be travelling anywhere much in the next little while. And she refunded the return portion of the fare.  I also had emails from the Trainline in the UK offering a refund on the tickets we were supposed to be using tomorrow to get from Sheffield to London.  Plus I have had an email from eBookers offering to try and get a refund for the return leg of our flight home, which is supposed to be next Monday.  I wasn't expecting any of these things to happen and am quite impressed.

There are reports in the Australian press that some people who have returned from overseas are breaking their mandatory quarantines.  Apparently The Powers That Be are going to start checking up on all of us. (They know who we are and where we should be - we had to fill in declarations at immigration.)  I have no plans to break the quarantine.  I may never leave the house again.  The only germs, viruses and contaminants that are in our place are the ones that Jim and I brought in with us. If we get the end of any incubation periods for any ailments that may be brewing, we should be in bounding good health for months - if we stay at home and don't let anyone in.

No comments:

Post a Comment