Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Europe

We have very reluctantly decided that prudence would suggest not going on an extensive train trip through France, Spain and Italy next week.  It is strongly rumoured that the Australian prime minister is about to close the Australian borders to non-residents who are or have been in Western Europe.  This wouldn't actually affect us - we would still be able to return to Oz, though they might quarantine us.  However, if the health officials think The Virus is sufficiently widespread that they want to put a travel ban in place, it is perhaps wise not to go to that place.

I have managed to get back more money than I was expecting to. The train fares are mostly non-refundable. but I got back half the fare for a couple of legs. One apartment is non-refundable (I knew that) but one was fully refunded and the other was half refunded.

We are going to Devon instead. This means I can use the train tickets to and from London.  I can use the (non-refundable) hotel I had booked in London on our return.  I have booked train tickets to and from Axminster. I have arranged to hire another car once we get there. And we have a cottage outside of Seaton, near Axminster booked for the week.  As compensation for the disappointment of not meeting another cousin and her family for Sunday lunch in Geneva, I have booked tickets to Sunday lunch at River Cottage.  I was a bit surprised there were tickets available.  It is Mothering Sunday in the UK on that day.  But there were two tickets, so I bought them.  We will go to that event by taxi. They have a bar stocked with local wines!

I'm not sure my stash of Euros will be much use in Deepest Darkest Devon, but at least they speak English.  Of a sort :-D

2 comments:

  1. What a shame you won't be able to do the European leg of your trip but you have definitely made the right decision. It's good that you at least got some of your money refunded. Lots of businesses are losing a lot of money at the moment. Can't imagine how much the cost of some things will go up after this is all over when they try to recoup some of their loses. Sounds like you have lots of great things planned to replace the things you had to cancel. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am quite excited by the idea of a week inDevon. We like Devon and weren't expecting to get back there this trip

    ReplyDelete