Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, March 27, 2020

From SS Quarantine #5

A quietly domestic day yesterday, although I did have another look at the RMG Facebook page.  I must have a proper go at the webpage in the next day or two.

I was looking at the empty glass "oil" dispenser during the day and noticed that the tap was a bit loose.  I tightened the tap up, and then wondered if that might be causing the slight leak.  I put some water in it to test my hypothesis.  No leak.  So I dried it properly and then tipped the oil from the other jar in. That tap was loose too.  I've tightened it up as well.  Now I have drips rather than a leak.  Perhaps I won't buy a new jar after all!

I also decided to sort through the freezer drawers in the fridge freezer in the kitchen.  In them I found:  1.5 loaves of sliced bread, a half packet of mountain bread, a packet of flatbreads and a rosemary and garlic pizza base plus there are tortilla breads in the pantry. No more bread baking until that lot is eaten. I also found a giant bag of frozen chips, a giant but opened bag of potato gems and only a small number of hash browns.  It shows how unreliable your memory of what is in the freezer is.  Had you asked me I would have said we had loads of hash browns but not much else.

Jim went out and hoed along the back fence to curb the growth of grass and weeds which we are finding difficult to control.  We do have a whipper snipper (small brush cutter) but no fuel for it, so the only way we have of doing the edges is using a set of hand shears. Our backs do not enjoy this!




It looks great - but it crosses my mind that you have no frame of reference, although if you look at the side of the house it gives you some idea. I hadn't thought to take any "before" photos.  I have now taken a few of the rest of the garden, just in case we are motivated to do any more work out there :-D

We had a butterflied, boneless chicken for dinner last night.  I roasted it and we had it with a load of roasted vegetables.  It was a lemon and Greek herb flavoured chicken and not the sort of thing I usually buy. I would have preferred an ordinary whole chook, but the online supermarket didn't offer them and I thought I would give this one a go.  I am reminded that I very often do not like pre-flavoured things. I prefer to add my own flavours. Pre-flavoured things so often seem heavy handed to me. And too salty.  I won't buy it again. However, it fed us and there is some left.  Might make a small pie with it.  But not tonight.  I have some turkey mince to use before it gets to its use by date.

No comments:

Post a Comment