Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, March 06, 2020

Friday morning

Amongst the other things that I had forgotten since I was last here were the narrow streets, lined on both sides with parked cars and with large trucks trying to get up and down them, causing chaos amongst car drivers.  I rapidly remembered this after I had wandered up to the car hire place to pick up our hire car on Wednesday morning! It was something of a challenge, reversing out of the way in an unfamiliar car that I had only had for three minutes, in an unfamiliar street

No matter.  I eventually managed to get out of the narrow street and managed to get back to Peartree with no further incident.

We drove out to the Fox and Goose in Coombe Bissett, where we met Jim's brother, sister in law and sister for lunch. It's a nice pub and did good pub food. It was also good to catch up with Jim's family. A good afternoon, even if the rain chucked it down with enthusiasm.




We came back via Waitrose. I think Waitrose is my most favourite supermarket in the whole world. People say that it is expensive, and it can be.  But it doesn't have to be. We didn't buy any of the exclusive, luxury, fancy stuff.  I bought more sensible things. I did, however, also buy pre-packaged veg which I wouldn't normally do.  Jim's most favourite vegetable ever - runner beans, ready prepared and sliced. Tiny Brussels sprouts. Podded peas.  My shopping bags were no more expensive than my Sainsbury's shop the previous day.

Jim slept with determination, right through dinner. He had his veg and mash turned into bubble and squeak for breakfast yesterday.

Yesterday it rained.  And it rained.  And it rained. I did wonder if it was ever going to stop. By lunchtime it had slowed down a bit so we put on our coats, scarves and hats and went into town.

We found the Old George Mall. A browse through Lakeland to admire the kitchen stuff. Hotter, the shoe shop next door which, alas, did not have any shoes that I fancied in my size. I didn't notice the Waterstones bookshop while we were there (I discovered that there is one in the Old George Mall this morning when I looked to see where there might be a book shop in Salisbury).  We had lunch in the Market Inn. We ambled back to the apartment. We didn't get particularly wet.

Our pub meals so far seem to have been heavy on protein and chips and light on vegetables.  So last night we had loads of green vegetables and baby potatoes with mushroom gravy for dinner.  Jim managed to stay awake :D

Not sure what we will do today.  It's not supposed to rain so we could wander back into town and have a drier mooch around.  We have a car, so we could head out somewhere.  We could, of course, do both.  We will ponder and see how the mood takes us.

We are very happy in our little apartment.  Jim says that you could quite easily live in it and that is true - though I would probably like an extra bedroom if we were actually living here.  But it's very well appointed and in a very convenient location:

Our enormous bed


En suite bathroom with humungous shower
Little lounge area




Desk area
Little kitchen, very well equipped

Behind the cupboard to the left...

... much to my surprise I found this
There's a breakfast bench
And this is how far we are from the station


No comments:

Post a Comment