Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, March 14, 2020

In the pub

Jim and I had quite a quiet day yesterday.  Taffa was back at work. Flynn was back at nursery.  Gaz was also work.  Cally was at school.

We had the house to ourselves.

So we stayed in it.

I went down the road to get a roast pork sandwich for me and a pork pie for Jim. for lunch

I did some washing and drying. I washed the dishes.

Then just before 5, Jim and I wandered into town and found the Head of Steam, where we met some former colleagues of mine.  There have been multiple reshuffles of the department while I have been away and there aren't many former colleagues left who are still working there.  One or two people who have left the institution came.  It was a small but delightful gathering.

The Head of Steam is VERY busy and VERY noisy but we managed to find a table to fit us all in in a distant corner where we could more or less hear each other.

I was pleased to be able to show English Rupert photos of his Australian namesake.  I did send a photo when Australian Rupert first arrived as a 10 week old puppy but didn't hear back.  English Rupert says he is fairly sure he didn't get it.  This is possibly right.  Bea sent me a message after we had been away for about 6 months to say she had found a couple of emails from me that had been caught up in the university spam filter.  And Rupert quite rightly points out that he might have forgotten to reply but he would remember the existence of an Antipodean canine called Rupert.

People all went home.

Steve and Bea drove us back to Woodseats and they and we reconvened in the Woodseats Palace for a bite to eat.

We came back to Taffa and Gaz's house and went to bed.

A Very Good Day.

It's Cally's birthday today.  She is 9.  There have been presents and balloons.  And shortly we are going to the Tropical Butterfly House to look at butterflies. And other things. Coats, hats, scarves and gloves are at the ready. 🌧🌧☔  (Actually, it's supposed to bright up as the day progresses, but we will take rain kit with us anyway!)

No comments:

Post a Comment