Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, March 09, 2020

Old Mill Hotel


You may remember that I said that we used to stay at the Old Mill when visiting Salisbury from Tupton, after the Swan in Stoford changed hands.  The Old Mill was a lovely place to spend a weekend but I wanted an apartment if staying for longer.  And so we came to the Peartree.

But I wasn't leaving without at least visiting the Old Mill, so we went for lunch yesterday.

I am very pleased I had booked a table in the restaurant.  I think they were fully booked.  Walk ins were directed to the bar. They serve the same menu in the bar, and it is a lovely space - but the restaurant is in an ancient part of the building and we love it.

Jim has eaten quite a lot of fish and seafood while we have been here. He carried on with whitebait to start and scampi and chips for his main.  I took the opportunity to have a proper pub Sunday roast.  Beef, Yorkies, roasties and veg.  We went wild and had dessert as well. Apple crumble for me (lots and lots of apple) and sticky toffee pudding for Jim.

We walked there, so I could also have wine with my lunch.  It's not a long walk and it is very pretty.  Jim managed quite well - spurred on, I think, by the thought of lunch at the end of the outward leg, and fuelled by good food and wine on the return trip.

Sunday walk, along the Town Path
The Old Mill, Harnham


Lots of water lying around







Looking across the meadows




And that brings to an end Part One of our trip.  We are off to Sheffield today.  Farewell and thank you to Wiltshire, Hampshire, various family members and to the Peartree for a fabulous week.


No comments:

Post a Comment