Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, March 29, 2020

From SS Quarantine #7

This is my Quarantine Best Friend



If the electricity goes, it won't be very useful, and I do have a grater and mixing bowls and wooden spoons and whisks and whatever (although if anyone wants to give me a decent grater for my birthday, it would be gratefully (😋) received).  However, I had a bag of carrots and half a cabbage that were looking a bit sad and the food processor chopped and grated them in under 5 minutes, ready for chopped and grated adventures. Would have taken me ages to do it by hand.

I understand that there are returning travellers who are not taking the mandatory quarantine seriously. After all - who is going to police it?  (Er - the police!).  Jim and I are taking it seriously.  As I have said before, not only is quarantine protecting other people from anything we may be incubating, but it is also protecting us from anything that other people may have or be incubating.

The government has lost patience with these people and returning travellers are now required to be quarantined in a hotel in the city in which they entered Australia. There has been considerable community outrage that some of these people are complaining that being quarantined in a hotel room for two weeks is "like being in prison". This does tell us that the complainers probably haven't actually ever been in prison. The hotels are 4 star hotels so quite comfortable and with decent food.  However, I am enormously grateful that when we came back we were able to isolate in our home, where we have access to multiple rooms, a garden and a kitchen with supplies to play with. I can see that being confined to a hotel room, no matter how comfortable, might become irksome and a bit claustrophobic after a while.

Jim has been taking advantage of having the garden to play with.  He turned this:



into this:


and this:


into this:



Plus he's raked up loads of leaves and mowed the grass.

We had a garden waste bin delivered while we were away. It was empty last Sunday.  It's full now!

So that's a wrap for Week #1.  On to Week #2

No comments:

Post a Comment