Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Shore leave

I did go to the post box yesterday. It was very odd. I kept expecting someone to leap out from behind a shrub and demand to know what I was doing out of the house!

We live at the top of our court and don't often hear traffic from the main road, unless there is something unusual happening. Apart from the tree fellers' machinery it has been very quiet in our little world.  But there are cars and other vehicles on the main road. Not as many as usual, but some.  There were people out walking and riding their bikes.  Not many, but some. Not close enough to be a danger. It was strange to see a semblance of normal life.

The tree fellers aren't actively felling trees at the moment. They are mulching the fallen branches and using big machines to move the tree trunks.  Last week sometime they put up some temporary fencing.  And on the fence they have put these notices


I am not sure that chopping trees down really counts as protecting them. But I am hopeful that "my" trees, the ones across the laneway that goes down past our fence, are being protected.  They are on this side of the the temporary fence.

I have had to dispose of the yeast that Lindsey bought.  It had stopped smelling of yeast and was starting to smell of slightly stale beer. I have put it in the compost bin.  I wonder if the compost will aerate and rise in a pleasing manner. In the end I used a little over 200g of it. I think that is as much as a home baker could realistically expect to use. And in future I need to make much smaller loaves of bread.  Jim and I can't eat a home made loaf of bread before it goes stale.  I shall ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment