Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, April 27, 2020

Markets

Although there are some markets still open around Victoria, the ones in and around Ballarat are all closed for the duration.

This poses a problem for some of the regular market stall sellers.  For instance, the local mushroom farm mostly sells at the markets.  You can buy some of their produce at our nearest IGA but I don't think they have a large clientele outside the markets. They were worried that they might need to close down. Our local dairy sells milk at the IGA and in various other locations but their main clientele was the cafes and restaurants which are, of course, all closed for eating in. Many of them are simply closed.  The dairy was worried that they might have to close down.

Many small and/or local producers are in the same boat.

The dairy began selling their milk, cream and yoghurt in other places.  At the Spring Creek vegetable farm. They were already selling at the Elaine Farm Shop but I think they have bumped up the quantities. The mushroom farm opened up a farm gate shed and began selling their mushrooms there on a few days of the week. They also started stocking the dairy's milk.  Then they started selling eggs from one of the regular market stalls.  And sourdough bread from another. Cultured butter from another.

The small producers are being very inventive in how they approach this.

Lindsey and I took advantage of the Government Mandated allowable crowd of two and, properly physically distanced, of course, went to the mushroom farm on Saturday.  It was packed! But everyone was taking the physical distancing seriously and keeping a suitable distance from other people.  Everyone was nice and patient.  And I came away with bags of mushrooms. Other people were buying some of the other produce. Oh, and there was a seafood van there. I got some prawns while I was there.

I wonder if the physical distancing would be any less if the markets were allowed to operate in Ballarat. People are, on the whole, quite respectful of it.

Then we headed out to Elaine and did the veg and meat shopping, amongst other goodies.

I had been to our local butcher earlier in the week and got some of their bacon and a few other bits and pieces.

The only thing I would quite like to buy that I haven't been able to get in the farm shops and stalls and at the local IGA is Yorkshire Tea, or strong English Breakfast tea.

Apart from one delivery when we were quarantined, I haven't been to Woollies or to Coles since we went away. I may need to, to get the teabags. The Elaine Farm Shop has plentiful supplies of flour, yeast, sugar, all the things that the supermarkets are short of. The veg farm has loads and loads of produce. The IGA fills most supermarket needs, plus wine and beer

I bought online a box of six cheeses from small Australian cheese producers, which I shared with Lindsey.  I realise that these are not local produce but the small cheesemakers are also struggling and I like to support these things when I can.

Lunch on Saturday was a gigantic mushroom from the mushroom farm filled with bacon from the local butcher (who makes his own) and blue cheese from my cheese box, with toast made from bread from the local bakery on the side.  I really felt quite smug :D




I don't think anyone in Eilish Court gathered in their driveways at 6 am for the private ANZAC day remembrances.  I wasn't really up by then.  I did go out to watch the sunrise, though, in remembrance.  And very beautiful it was too



I saw video of many of the private remembrances on the TV later in the day, and the quiet, sparsely attended official ANZAC day ceremonies.  Much more appropriate, in my view, than the usual large crowds and parades. Quiet, dignified, thoughtful.

It was a beautiful start to the working week this morning.  (I am still working from home). Usually I work in the study but first thing in the morning I tend to sit at the dining room table.  Not a bad little office, first thing on a sunny morning


And that it Jim's birthday jigsaw at the other end of the dining table.  All finished



No comments:

Post a Comment