Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, April 05, 2020

From SS Quarantine #14

And so our enforced quarantine comes to an end.

I had expected to be a bit bored, a bit restless, a bit fed up as the fortnight progressed but in fact I wasn't really any of those things.  It was a bit like a super dooper long weekend and there wasn't all that much that I usually do at the weekends that I couldn't do in quarantine.  True there were no markets, no farm shops, no farms. No popping out just to grab something. Apart from that, not much. We almost never go to the pub just for a drink. We do go out for lunch but didn't really miss that and don't do it all that often anyway.

It seems we usually lead quite a quiet life.

I have found it mildly frustrating that I couldn't go and see what the tree fellers are up to and I do miss Rupert and Hugo. Humans you can talk to by phone or text message or video call or email or by any number of different ways.  No so easy with dogs!

Another thing I have learned is that I (not necessarily anyone else) find it more frustrating to be cooped up at home when it is wet, windy and cold.  I had expected it to be the other way but have found sunny weather not so bad.  I guess because there is more to do in fine weather.  It brings the garden into play.

According to the news reports, approximately a third of the people who were supposed to be in quarantine at home have not been there when police have come to see how they are doing (ie, check up on them).  This is reckless and rather selfish behaviour. I have been hugely grateful that we could quarantine at home and have felt no need to break the quarantine by wandering off.  The people who are now having to quarantine in hotels are reporting that the food they are getting leaves quite a bit to be desired and they can't get out of their rooms for a walk or for exercise or even for fresh air.  We have had the kitchen and the garden and windows that open and  plenty of space. And for the record, no police came to check on us.  But we would have been here if they had.

I am also hugely grateful to Lindsey for bringing us fresh food and treats.  I think we would probably have had enough in the freezers and the pantry to survive but it has been nice to have fresh milk, eggs and fresh veg delivered to the door.  And the treats :D

I am still making use of the yeast.  I made a cinnamon swirl yesterday



It could really have done with some icing and I thought I had icing sugar but I discovered when I went to get it that the jar was sneakily empty. No popping out to the shops for icing sugar so I glazed it with water, caster sugar and more cinnamon. It was very tasty but rather a lot when there are only two of us.  I think Jim will be having toasted cinnamon swirl for breakfast for the next few days.  I am on the look out for a recipe for coffee scrolls now. And trying to think of something to make today.  There is contradictory advice in my baking books and on the internet about the successful freezing of fresh yeast but pretty much everyone agrees that freezing unbaked dough works well.  I might make up some batches of dough and shove them in the freezer and see what happens.

And so we disembark from the SS Quarantine and join everyone else on the Cruise Ship Solitude.  Here's hoping for fair winds and a following sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment