Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, April 04, 2020

From SS Quarantine #13

There is a group of us who do a Work Week step challenge on the Fitbit app.  Lindsey, Freyja and I are amongst those people.  One of the nurses at work participates. Two friends in England and a friend of theirs are also involved.  Usually I come towards or at the bottom of the pack.

Now pretty much everyone is working from home or quarantined, although Lindsey and the nurse are still at work.  I decided that I had to be much more competitive. I can't go out but I can still move around.

So I set myself the challenge of reaching 1000 steps an hour between 08:00 and 17:00, and a minimum of 10,000 steps each day. I walked up and down the house. Most days I walked round and round the garden. And every day this week I managed to reach at least 10.000 steps.  My total for Monday to Friday was 56,500.  At the moment I am at the top of the leaderboard.  I realise that the Work Week challenge is now over but not everyone has synched their steps yet so I may not win the challenge.  But I will not be at the bottom :-D

I have been pondering what to do with Lindsey's kilo block of yeast.  There is no way I can use it all up before its best before date.  I decided to do some experimenting. I have broken some of it up into small pieces and put it in the freezer.  I am going to make some balls of dough and freeze those after the first rise but before baking, And I am going to keep making yeasty things until the yeast dies - which I think may well be beyond the best before date. I have been reading my baking books for ideas of things to do beyond bread, rolls and buns.

I made pizza. (This was not an experiment. I often make pizza but usually with soda bread rather than yeasted bread)



The weather was better yesterday. We watched the people felling the conifers on the reserve.  So far it's only the conifers which are being tackled.  The native trees and the broadleaf trees have been left. So far.

We have been trying to make weekdays different from weekend days.  We didn't do quite so well yesterday.  All day it felt like a Saturday.  So much so that I was quite surprised to wake up this morning and find that it wasn't Sunday. It is, in fact Saturday and Day #14 aboard the SS Quarantine.

On we sail.

No comments:

Post a Comment