Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, April 13, 2020

Easter

It has, of course, been a topsey turvey Easter for most people this year.

It's been very quiet for us too.

We don't see many people from our place.  Occasionally the people who live around us in their gardens or in the street.  The odd person walking down the lane, although we only see the tops of their heads, usually.

Yesterday, Easter Sunday, we didn't even see any of them.  Mind you, the weather wasn't conducive to playing in the garden, or loitering in the street or taking unnecessary walks.  It's been gloomy, wet and chilly for days.  Until today.  Today is glorious. The sun is shining.  The sky is a beautiful blue. There is but a light breeze.  Excellent washing day :D

Our food has been a bit topsey turvey too.

Ordinarily we would have fish on Good Friday, but I had some lamb cutlets that I had defrosted earlier in the week for Jim's birthday.  In the event he asked for cottage pie for his birthday dinner.  I didn't think the cutlets would keep until Sunday so we had them on Friday.

Ordinarily we would have vegetarian food on Hoy Saturday, but we had the left over cottage pie from Jim's birthday and I didn't want to waste it. So we had that.

Ordinarily we would have lamb on Easter Sunday (usually at a Family Feast at Hill House). No family feast this year and I had some chicken pieces that needed using up.  So we had a chicken and vegetable curry with rice instead.

Not a typical Easter weekend means at all.

On the other hand - earlier in the year Lindsey and I went to the Buninyong Blueberry Farm and spent an afternoon picking blueberries.  I also got some mulberries from the Elaine Farm shop.  Lindsey had asked that I keep some in the freezer and make a fruit pie for the Easter Feast.  The fruit has been in a secret drawer in my freezer. I'm not sure what the proper purpose of this drawer is but it is an excellent place to keep things that you don't want to use by accident.  There is the drawback that you are likely to entirely forget about the things that are hidden away in there, but I ran across the fruit when I was sorting out the freezer a week or so ago.

I had some (supermarket) frozen raspberries and even some apples.  So I stewed apple chunks, raspberries, mulberries and blueberries with a little sugar and some orange juice I pressed from fresh oranges.  I couldn't be bothered making pastry so made a crumble mix instead.  And I made two fruit crumbles.  One for Lindsey and Ian and one for Jim and me.  I put Lindsey's and Ian's on the little table on our front porch and Lindsey picked it up while out for supplies.  Jim and I had ours with cream after our chicken and veg curry.  An unorthodox Easter Feast at our place, perhaps.  But delicious for all that.

Jim and I are making steady progress with his birthday jigsaw.  It is harder than I had expected it to be.  But we've almost built the Eastern Seaboard!


And Cally and Flynn have decorated their front window for Easter


No comments:

Post a Comment