Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, May 18, 2009

Mini rhubarb pies

I made a sweet shortcrust pastry using butter, white flour, brown sugar and some orange juice to loosen it a little. I let this rest in the fridge for a couple of hours.

I rolled it out quite thinly and lined my bite-sized pie tray with it (next time I might use the next tray size up, but I've only got the capacity to make 6 with that and the bite-sized one does 24).

Into each pie I put one chunk of rhubarb and a dollop of custard made with custard powder. Then I covered the pies with a pastry lid and baked them in a medium oven for about half an hour.

The custard had boiled out all over the place :-(

Fortunately - I had some more already prepared. So I carefully took the lids off the micro-pies and topped them up with more custard and put the lids back.

They were extremely yummy! So yummy that the ones I had intended to bring into the office didn't make it out of the house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment