One jar didn't seal properly, so we ate those over the following week. One jar sealed beautifully, so I put that down in the cellar on the preserves shelf. And I didn't have enough jars for the rest, so they went in the freezer, also in syrup.
Yesterday we found ourselves short of fruit, and also quite short of milk. Right, I thought. Those currants will go really nicely on the wheetbix. So I fished the jar up.
I can absolutely assure you that that jar of bottled fruit was magnificently sealed. I could not undo it, no matter how I tried. I tried pulling the protuberance on the rubber seal, which is what you are supposed to do. No. I tried releasing the seal with a knife. No. I tried knocking the lid gently on the kitchen bench. Absolutely not. The Builder tried. Nope. So we left it.
In the evening, I stood the jar in a bowl of boiling water. Still refused to open. Eventually, The Builder prised it open by the use of a sturdy screwdriver and brute strength. This, alas, chipped the jar which now needs replacing. But at least we can eat the currants. And they are EXTREMELY delicious.
Now I just need to work out what I did wrong. I know that bottling jars can sometimes be reluctant to open. But I've never encountered one before which flatly refused to release its contents.
Still - absolutely no bacterium was ever going to get into that jar!!!!!
I must get extra preserving jars for next year. There are many more recipes in the Preserve book that need trying. Although it would be better if I could use each jar more than once!!