Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Slow cooker report - Part the first

I am still not entirely convinced by the slow cooking machine.

In the first instance, ALL the books I have read state quite firmly that you absolutely must NOT prepare your goulash* the night before and leave it ready so you can simply turn your device on the following morning as you leave for work. To do this is to invite certain catastrophe, the end of civilisation as we know it and the distinct probability that David Cameron will become Prime Minister.

*Other dishes are also available

I can tell you now that if I ever have to prepare goulash or any other form of evening meal at 6:10 in the morning, then yesterday's was absolutely the Slow Cooker's first and last excursion.

Although Lindsey tells me that she prepares her dishes the night before and that so far civilisation struggles on and David Cameron is not Prime Minister. Mind you Kevin Rudd might have something to say if DC just turned up planning to take over. On the other hand, if he did, it would significantly reduce the likelihood of him becoming Prime Minister here!

But I digress.

Many other people told me that they too prepare their dishes the night before with no ill effect. And that the delicious smell of goulash that would greet me when I got home would make it all worth it.

We got home. And were greeted not by a mouth watering small but by a tiny, vague scent. I peered in. Not very much appeared to be happening, definitely no simmering. In defiance of all the instructions, I took the lid off and tasted it. It was hot, it's true. But the meat was a bit tough and it wasn't a "finished" goulash at all.

I left it to carry on. And checked the recipe. I was doing exactly what it had said to do. I looked in the manufacturer's book - and discovered that the recommendations for cooking in that were not at all the same as the instructions in the books! I turned the cooker up! The books aren't written, it appears, for a cooker with a medium setting!!!

In the end, it turned into quite a nice goulash, but it took a bit of last minute effort. And I really didn't like the fact that I couldn't take the lid off and taste and stir and smell. Everyone else, however, tells me that they take the lid off theirs with no ill effect.

I have some pork hocks coming this week (from my Scottish butcher, who calls them houghs!) I shall try them in the slow cooker when they arrive, folowing the manufacturer's instructions fr use, and see how we get on! And the oven stands at the ready, prepared to take back the responsibility for slow cooking should the slow cooker and I fail to get along

No comments:

Post a Comment