Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I was talking to Lindsey earlier today and she mentioned that the Victorian government had called for GPs to volunteer some time help with people with minor injuries and for people who had had to evacuate their homes and had lost their medication, prescriptions and other medical necessities. I had never thought about these matters in relation to a disaster. But it’s true. Think of all those poor asthmatics without their inhalers in all that smoke.

I have long been aware that in the event of an emergency evacuation of your house, at the very least you need to make sure you have your wallet (so you have access to cash), your drivers licence or passport (so you have some form of ID) and a laptop (so you have a means of getting information to and from you, including radio). I didn’t have my mobile phone on that list because it’s usually in my pocket and one of the things I automatically grab as I leave the house. These are the things that people who have been through catastrophes say not having makes life extremely difficult when you reach a place of safety.

There is always a large bottle of water in The Vixen’s boot

It was only when I have been listening to the radio and reading the news reports from Victoria over the past few days that I have come to realise that I need to plan some practical things as well. I may have to have an emergency pack ready to roll, although I am not actually anticipating an emergency. The reception centres in Victoria were asking for toilet paper and soap and things. I had never stopped to think that a roll of loo paper in the car might be handy. I do have a toilet bag permanently packed (it’s so much easier when you go away at weekends as much as we do). I must add it to my list of things to grab on the way out. And women under a Certain Age need to think about sanitary pads as well. And we really ought to have some emergency food. I am emphatically not expecting a conflagration in or around Tupton – but people do get stranded on the motorways for hour after hour after hour sometimes.

I discover that I am emphatically not as prepared for an emergency as I thought I was – although, in the event of a conflagration, I do at least have a deep, cold cellar I can hide in. I might never get out of the cellar (not a nice thought for a claustrophobe such as me) but I would be most unlikely to be incinerated! (Beofre you ask, I would block the door with a couple of saturated doonas and cross my fingers)

Wendy says:

it has really cooled down here, for the time being, still very blowy though...that will go on for a while, it was nice talking to you the other day....the person who did die, was a friend of a friend....I had only met her a couple of times....nice person......very sad that all these people died....and they think that arson is the main culprit.....can't figure that one out.....Christina(Suzie and Christians stepmum) did not have to evacuate...thank goodness though they are still on high alert.....the fires were rather close to her place..I think the wind changed and for the time being she is safe which is a great relief.......

And she is doing some volunteer work with the CFA

And Barb’s aunt said, in an email to her British relations (quoted with permission, I hasten to add!):

The fires have almost died down but no one is allowed in the area,the police have called it a crime scene as the fires were deliberatly lit. Judiths house has gone completely, there is a aerial photograph in the news paper today of what is left, she had time to pack some of her things, she left five large plastic boxes full of Christmas decorations along side the drive they are still there but the house has gone,the sheep were dead but they had to shoot some of the cattle they were badly burnt, Judith is holding everything together but John is like a zombi and I'm afraid when Jude sees the photograph it will just hit her hard. Susan's house is untouched but every thing else has gone,sheds heavy machinery hay shed and most of his cattle, he paid $3000. for his bull Prince but he didnot survive,they have 118 acres,the opposite side of the road there is nothing left the top of their road all is wiped out and a lot of the deaths happend there. Ron was out of town playing badmington, by the time he arrived home he could not get through to his place, we are all thanking God that he could not get home for he would have not left with Sue, he would have stayed and it's only a house,as I'm writing this the tears are starting again, it is going to be so hard for them and I know I am selfish but I'm just thinking of my own Family, so many people have lost their lives, One old friend of the girls 95yrs. stayed, his house and car went up in flames,so he went in the middle of a paddock that the fire had burnt out waited til it had passed and started walking down the road,a fire trick picked him up and he is in the hostpital with burns, you would have to know Charlie to believe this it is just what we expected of him. there is so much more to tell but I'm due out in half an hour so I must go. I will keep up with the news as I get it. The heros of this fire are the vollenteer fire fighters,they never get paid and yet they risk their lives to save ours. God Bless them. Diane it's good news that Nell is with company you will be able to relax a bit now. Thank you all for your kind thoughts please prat for us ,Love Phyll. I cannot bother about the spelling check you will just have to make a guess

No comments:

Post a Comment