Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, February 01, 2009

February 2009

I went down to the back of the garden today and found that the snowdrops are about 3cm up. A sign that spring is on its way :-) Mind you, with the arrival of February, the temperature has plummeted again and we are promised snow for this week. Although, they're revised the forecast from heavy snow and total misery to light snow and moderate misery. We shall see!

We ran out of broad beans in November and only have one bag of peas left in the freezer. In fact, apart from the peas, some zucchini and a bo full of pumpkin that I had forgotten about, we don't have much left in the way of veg. Still a bit of fruit, though. But I discovered a wholesale sed supplier who sells in small quantities and so have bought 1kg each of broad bean and pea seeds. It's considerably cheaper than buying them in packets! I also bought 250 sweet corn seed. This is rather more than I need! Sweet corn seeds anyone?

The cauliflowers have not done well. They got hit by the hard frosts we had in december and went manky. The ittle savoys, however, have been wonderful. The red cabbage is looking healthy but not hearting for some reason. And the sprouts have remained stubbornly tiny. We have been eating minuscule sprouts and munching on the sprout tops (which are very tasty). The flowering broccoli is looking very healthy and is promising a splendid spring crop. I'm not sure I'll buy the plugs again though. I think they got here a bit late. And it's loads cheaper to plant seeds and do it myself.

The greenhouse in the garden is quite a bit warmer than the rest of the garden. The Builder lined it with bubble wrap to keep the kiwi fruit and the orange tree warm. Well, warm-ish. So far they seem to be surviving well. Also, I've got some sweet peas in there overwintering. They're not looking entirely happy but they are at l
east surviving. I'll plant them out in April, assuming they survive that long.

I'm still considering the possibility of buying a heated propagator to get my kidney/soya/french beans of to an early start. But January is way too early even for inside germinating. Being patient here!






b


No comments:

Post a Comment