Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Stag Restaurant, Comfort Inn, Port Fairy, Victoria, Australia

Ian was quite disappointed, when he went to book a table at the Merrijig restaurant in Port Fairy for last night, to find that all the restaurants were fully booked (it is a long weekend in Australia, plus there are lots of extra people in town for Ian's niece's wedding this afternoon).

So he booked a table at the hotel restaurant.

I would not normally expect to get particularly exciting food in a hotel restaurant in country Victoria.

I would have been wrong.  Last night's dinner ranked amongst the best I have ever eaten!

Lindsey, Ian, Jess, Ant and Emily shared two seafood platters for two for their entree.  The Builder and I had bowls of tomato soup poured around little parmesan souffles. The souffle was delicious and the tomato soup absolutely lovely. They served it with the souffle sat in the middle of a flat bowl with a roasted cherry tomato to one side.  And the soup came in a jug which you poured around the souffle island.  It was very pretty

And then we had the main courses:

Sea bream on a fennel risotto
I had schnapper but was too greedy to stop and take a picture!  I love schnapper and, of course, seldom get the chance to eat it.  Mind you, I was lucky to get it.  They were serving the sea bream as their fish of the day, and the schnapper only after the bream had run out. I got the first serving :-)


Steak and chips


The carrots were cooked with cumin and tiny, tiny currants.  The sprouts were confitted and were delicious.  I must find out how they did them

Mozarella and fig salad
There were several interesting vegetarian options,  not a feta and spinach dish to be seen

Rump steak with garlic butter
I had a taste of Lindsey's steak.  It was very tasty and beautifully cooked

A cone of chips
I think the chips were amongst the best we have ever eaten

Don't think Lindsey enjoyed her meal at all!!
We were all much to full even to consider dessert, until the charming and chatty waiter mentioned that they do petit tarts, chocolate or rhubarb, which are about the size of the top of a small wine glass.  Lindsey and I shared a rhubarb one, Jess and Emily a chocolate one.  They were just right to finish off with, light and creamy and small.  An amuse bouche for the end of the meal.  Oh - and a short black coffee.

I think the wedding reception which the others are going to this evening is going to have quite a job to beat that meal.

(Thanks to Jess for some of the photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment