Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, April 24, 2010

The local butcher

We came up to Ballarat yesterday so Lindsey could inspect her dogs, check her chooks and generally sort the house out.

We had pies and chips for lunch, from the bakery and the chip shop at Mount Clear.  I have to say that the chips from the chip shop were probably the best chip shop chips we've had while we've been here.  Apart from in cafes, chips have been something of a disappointment on this trip.  Still, now we know.  Mount Clear fish and chip shop is the way to go.

But what shall we have for dinner.  I ambled into the butcher's shop.  We've had lots and lots of steak and red meat in the last fortnight.  I think we'll go with chicken.  Oh, and some bacon.  I'll do chicken fillets wrapped in bacon and grilled.  So I asked for three fillets.  And the cheery butcher got them for me.  Then I asked for "6 slices of your wonderful bacon, please".  The butcher beamed.  He was pleased that I thought his bacon was wonderful.  They cure it themselves on the premises. " Indeed," said I.  "You can see why your bacon wins awards."  (I know the bacon wins awards because there's a sign in the shop that says so)

He asked if I had tried their ham.  I had not.  So he gave me a bit to taste.  It was absolutely delicious.  I gave a bit to The Builder. He thought it was delicious too.  The butcher beamed even more.  And got his mate to slice a few slices which he added to my shopping.  Had we, perchance, tried the saveloys?  Erm - no.  So he chucked a couple of saveloys into the shopping as well.

I don't usually eat saveloys. Normally they are too gristly and salty and fatty and yucky.  We had those two saveloys this morning with our breakfast.  If we lived anywhere remotely near Mount Clear, we would take up eating saveloys with enthusiasm!  The ham was scrumptious sat on top of a slice of cheese, sat on top of crumpets and grilled.

Last night's chicken was rather nice too.  He's a good butcher.

Right.  Must get ready.  We're shortly off to Port Fairy for the wedding weekend. Although fortunately most of the UK guests have now managed to get here and The Builder and I are no longer on standby to make up the numbers

No comments:

Post a Comment