Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, January 03, 2024

Storm

I got the thunder weather warning alert yesterday morning as I was standing in the sunshine in my courtyard, cup of tea in hand, thinking what a lovely summer's morning it was.  It didn't look as thought it was going to be stormy. I pottered along through the morning, largely ignoring the weather warnings that came to my phone.

Then it clouded over. And started raining. Then I realised that it had got very, very dark. So dark that the solar lights came on along the back fence and the front porch. 

The lights had been on the wooden Christmas
tree. I decided to hang them along the
fence on S hooks rather than packing them away

And then the storm hit. Torrential rain. Thunder. Lightning. Wind. The power went out and came back. Then it went out and stayed out. Fortunately, I have wind up storm lanterns so at least could see in the house.

I waited until the worst of the rain and wind had passed and then drove cautiously up to Hill House. There would be nobody there until mid-evening, so I couldn't gift anyone a dose of covid. And I thought I should check to make sure that the dogs and house were ok.

The dogs were pleased to see me (and the treats I had in my bag). The driveway was behaving like a small creek. The house was dry, but the back yard was flooded and rainwater had blown in through the back door.  I prepped the house for the power not coming back on until 11pm, which is what Powercor was predicting, fed the dogs and then came back to my place.


 

The power came back around 5pm. A considerable improvement on the predicted time.

The BoM is predicting possible storms for later today. We could do with quite a lot less rain. My garden gauge had 60ml in it when I got home. And quite a lot of the shops in Buninyong were flooded.


No comments:

Post a Comment