Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, January 08, 2024

Dodging the Rain

There had been rain of biblical proportions forecast for Victoria yesterday and today. However, yesterday morning looked as though it might be ok.

We planned our day accordingly.

I went for a morning stroll before Freyja and Simon got up

The tide was in

Ours is the blue cottage next to the cafe

The little beach was quite inviting

Then we went to the cafe for breakfast



Mindful that Freyja and Simon had reported that the coffee had been quite weak when they had gone in on Saturday morning, I asked for a double strength cappuccino. I didn't really need to. It was verging on too strong for me. I had eggs Benedict with my coffee. No rocket, please!

Then we headed out to inspect the local area. Blind Bight, because the reviews for the Blind Bight shop are uniformly awful on Google. It seemed OK to me, just a bit understocked. Perhaps not surprising on a Sunday in January in a country village. We went to the local lookout and looked out.


You'd be in real trouble if deep mud actually engulfed you 
on the lookout point

Vast expanses of mangroves
(which probably are muddy)

And so to Warneit. We inspected another village shop. Also slightly understocked but a bit more interesting. And then we walked a mangrove trail. I didn't take any photos, partly because there really weren't any obvious things to take photos of and also because I was obsessively worrying about snakes. We were all wearing open toed sandals and I wasn't all that excited about having to deal with snake bites in Warneit. I don't know how excited snakes would be about living in muddy, soggy mangrove areas. I didn't really want to find out. At least we were fairly sure there weren't any crocodiles. No worries about being actually eaten.

And so to Cannon's Creek. No village shop to inspect, although it is a surprisingly large settlement. We checked out the viewing point, but not the boardwalk. We did see a collie paddle boarding, which is not something you see every day








And so home. Simon went for a run, just as the heavens opened. I did not!

We went into Koo Wee Rup to see what was there. Not a lot, really. We had lunch/afternoon tea in Degani's. Freyja and Simon  shared a bowl of wedges. I did not. I had this:



I really should know better, but when you talk to me of pancakes I think of French style pancakes. Shrove Tuesday pancakes. Crepes. I do not think of these American style griddle cakes. I should do because that is nearly always what is meant on Australian menus. Especially if there is also talk of maple syrup.


Well and truly defeated by the "pancakes"
(Photo by Freyja)

We checked out the supermarket and pottered around and then made our way back to the cottage.

It was still raining.

For dinner I had what I think might be amongst the worst pizzas I have ever eaten. I asked for a marinara (seafood with garlic). I have a feeling they actually gave me an Aloha (prawns, chicken and pineapple). My pizza definitely had prawns and some amorphous other protein. No discernible garlic. And lots of pineapple. Even if I actually liked pineapple, it would not have been a pleasant culinary experience. As pineapple is obviously a food of the devil it was a horrible taste sensation!

It's now just on half past 8. We need to be out by 10. If it opens (it is supposed to open) we might have breakfast in the cafe before we go. Only - it's raining just a little bit

From the front door


I like it here. It's not as exciting, or buzzing with the "summer holiday" vibes of the Mornington Peninsula, It's a pretty, small, relaxed place with all sorts of things accessible if you don't mind driving to them. Although, as Freyja points out, we are in a pretty fisherman's cottage on the foreshore with inlet views. We might not have been quite so enamoured if we had been in the more suburban parts of Tooradin. But, I would come here again.

No comments:

Post a Comment