Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, January 09, 2024

Coming Home

They did open the cafe yesterday morning, in time for us to go around and have breakfast before we left. They were a bit surprised to see us. They weren't expecting anyone while the rain was as heavy. Although people did come in for coffees and cakes and sandwiches to take away.

Fortified by a good and hearty breakfast, I bade farewell to Freyja, Simon and Tooradin and made my way across to Mornington. It was quite a challenging drive. It wasn't the rain itself so much, although that was quite heavy,  as the water across the road. At one point the road was flooded in a dip. If I had been on my own, I might have turned around rather than driving through it. (Don't drive through flood waters, people; good seldom comes of it!) However, there were other vehicles, including cars, trucks and 4WDs, driving through it VERY carefully. As it happens it wasn't very deep and I carefully followed the vehicles ahead of me. All was well.

I made it to Tully's, which was why I was going to Mornington and then went home. CAREFULLY. There hadn't been all that much rain in Mount Helen. My rain gauge only registered 10 ml from last Friday. We had definitely had more than that in Tooradin! And it had been raining with intent all the way from Mornington until it petered out somewhere around Bacchus Marsh. The roads had been very wet until then.

And now I am poised for quite a busy week. I shall kickstart it with a cup of coffee, made by me. (I was just thinking that it would be nice to have a cafe next door where  I could buy coffee and perhaps even breakfast. In fact, the Krooze In Cafe is only a five or six minute walk and I could walk there for coffee and breakfast. Perhaps it's just as well it isn't immediately next door. It might swallow up all my money!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment