Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, January 05, 2024

What to do with all that food?

One of the problems with planning a New Year luncheon and then not hosting it is the vast amount of food you end up with in the fridge. And then there are the covid antivirals which leave me with a hugely unpleasant taste in my mouth which makes every thing I eat or drink taste equally unpleasant. That is definitely an appetite suppressant!

Some of the food couldn't go in the freezer. It had already come out of the freezer and been defrosted ready for cooking. Also - my freezer is pretty much full. So. Lindsey took some of the salmon to her place and I cooked up the rest of it at mine. I took pumpkin, red onion, carrot and zucchini and roasted them. I stir fried more zucchini plus leeks, red, green and yellow capsicum, asparagus, broad beans, green beans and snap peas with garlic, ginger and lemon. I roasted the chicken wings. And I made sure that I ate these things after the taste effect of the antivirals had started to wear off and before I took the next lot. There is a pot of stir fried and a bowl of roasted vegetables left

I might have had left over stir fry and salmon for breakfast this morning. I have finished with the antivirals, I was hungry, and there was a breakfast bowl left from last night's dinner. I wouldn't think anything of having fish and vegetables for breakfast in a Japanese hotel. Can't see why I shouldn't have it here as well.

I was given a gift card for Christmas and bought myself a tiny rice cooker with some of it. I've never had a rice cooker so got a single person one from Kmart to try it out. It's very cute. And very efficient. I need to fine tune how I use it. The first lot of rice was properly cooked but a bit dry. The second time was a tiny bit sloppy. I'll get there. And it's much less trouble than cooking it in a saucepan



I did a RAT this morning and it was negative. I am definitely symptom free. I've pretty much been symptom free since I did the original RAT on Monday. As I said, the only symptoms I had were a very slight scratchy throat, a very mild headache, a bit of a runny nose and some sneezing. And only on Sunday afternoon and Monday. Apart from the side effects of the antivirals and a great sleepiness when watching TV in the evening, I've been much as usual. Even the evening sleepiness isn't all that unusual. I think that I can go back out into the world. 

Actually,  I could have been out in the world anyway. The current government guidelines are that you are encouraged to stay at home if you have symptoms but you don't have to. You can't go into high risk places such as hospitals and aged care facilities, but you can, if you are minded, go anywhere else. Please wear a mask if you do. But we won't make you. Your sense of social responsibility is all down to you. 

By way of celebration I have thoroughly cleaned most of the kitchen. I just have the lower cupboard doors and the floor left to do. I will do the floor but the bottom cupboards will have to wait. I'm exhausted from all that cleaning!!! (I should perhaps do a thorough clean more often. The kitchen gets cleaned daily, but not doors and walls and crevices and everywhere. I don't actually remember the last time I did a deep clean 😯)


Whiskey:

I'm a dedd, dedd, dedd, DEDD cat!

Just kidding 😺


No comments:

Post a Comment