Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, January 15, 2024

A weekend in mid-January

It was quite hot in Melbourne on Friday. I think it got to around 35d. I had had the foresight to park the car in the under cover car park at work!

It wasn't 35d where I sit, if I happen to be on the desk at work. I was wearing a waistcoat and a long sleeved shirt and was *just* comfortable. I took the waistcoat off and rolled up my sleeves before I left to go home.

I worked three days in a row starting at 7:30. This means I need to leave at around 5:30. Except for during January when the schools are on their summer break. I can leave at 5:45 and get to work with ample time to make a toastie and a cup of coffee for breakfast. I don't mind leaving very early during the summer. It's a beautiful drive very early in the morning. I might be slightly less enthusiastic about volunteering to cover the opening shift in June, when it is dark and cold and miserable at that time of the day.

I don't think it was quite as hot in Mount Helen. It was a very pleasant temperature with a gentle, cooling breeze when I got home. I didn't put the air conditioner on. I opened the windows in the dining room and lounge room to let the cooling breeze into the house.

Saturday was a complete contrast, weatherwise. Very low 20s, cloudy and showery during the afternoon. This did not stop people going to the market by the lake. I think they estimated around 6000 people attended. By the time Lindsey and I got there, a bit later than usual, Tim's Toasties had more or less run out of toasties (we got one of the last cheesy ones). Lots of the stalls were running low. The citrus and the olive oil stalls weren't there at all. The Blue Bay cheese people were - and were running low but still had some of my favourite cows feta. 

Sunday was a glorious day. Just Right. We collected Stella and went out to Piper's for lunch. And very lovely it was too:




Brandy and Whiskey were enjoying the weather yesterday:




And Tony's rosebush seems to be happy. It's producing some lovely roses which smell gorgeous. This time, I kept some at my place, rather than taking them in for Stella. She can have the next lot



It's cloudier today and I think there are possible thunderstorms forecast for this afternoon. I might try and tidy up the courtyard before any rain comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment