Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, March 11, 2023

Morning

From my front porch, just before 7:00

I will eventually get bored with the Wilson's fruit and veg boxes, probably about this time next week when I am getting ready to leave for Japan for two weeks (Covid and other Dogs willing!) But I haven't got bored yet.

I went yesterday just to see what they had - they do make up a couple of boxes most days but I was a bit later in the day than I would usually be. They had two veg and one fruit box. I definitely don't need any fruit at the moment! A bloke ahead of me carefully deliberated over the two veg boxes and eventually picked one up. I grabbed the remaining one, for $9. And this is what was in it:



The shiny thing in the middle is a large quarter cabbage. I forgot to take its plastic wrap off before taking its portrait. It was a good haul, although I don't know what I'm going to do with the baby parsnips or the eggplant. I have vegilicious plans for the rest of it. 

I am making progress with the fruit. There are two peaches left, now sliced up ready to add to breakfast, and still most of a bowl of nectarines. If they are in as good condition as they look, I might slice a couple up and take them for Stella. She has fruit and custard most mornings for breakfast. I also have a couple of mangoes which I'll add and can get her some raspberries to add interest.

I was a bit surprised to look out the window earlier in the week to see this:



I hadn't heard it arrive. I definitely heard it when it started work! There aren't many building blocks left on the estate now. Three or four, I think. The blocks are smaller than I was expecting them to be, when I looked at the plans when they first started. But then the houses are quite big.

I am happy to report that I can still mostly see trees from my main living area. Sitting at the dining room table, I can only see trees. No houses - although I know they are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment