Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, March 03, 2023

Fruit and other stuff

Following on from the $7 vegetable box of seconds that I got at Wilson's last week ...

... This week they had a $9 box of seconds fruit.

Yes, yes, of course I bought it, with Lindsey's encouragement. My hesitation was the lack of freezer space in both our houses, plus it's not as easy to deal with fruit. You can't really, for example, chuck it all in the slow cooker and turn it into stew if you eat as little stewed fruit as we do and there's no freezer space.

However, I now have a lovely box of apples, peaches, plums and nectarines in my possession. I have dug out all my fruit cookbooks for inspiration. Cake, pie, tart yes - and I might pull out my dehydrator.





I had put some clothes on the bed this morning, intending to wear them after my shower.  This is what I found when I came back from the bathroom:



I am wearing different clothes. Brandy is still sleeping on the original wardrobe choice.

I don't know if you remember, but our lovely local bakery was destroyed in a fire in January 2022, along with the gym and the tobacco shop (which is where the blaze was started in an alleged arson attack). The takeaway chicken shop, an empty shop and the post office were affected by smoke, but not destroyed and the chicken shop and post office re-opened a matter of weeks later. Anyway, after months of discussions with insurance companies, the owners of the complex, the council and who knows who else, then more months of rebuilding, the bakery re-opened yesterday. I think they were run off their tiny little feet. I popped in just before lunchtime when it was busy but not hectic. When I came out again, there was quite a queue waiting to go in to collect lunchtime delicacies. The tobacco shop has also been completely rebuilt. The whole run of shops has had a new roof put on and is looking shiny and new and very smart. (I believe that reconstruction of the gym is also underway but it's harder to see what they're doing, plus I don't have a personal interest in the fate of the gym 😝)

No comments:

Post a Comment