Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Singapore 2

Freyja had a hunt for possible breakfast places and found somewhere about 5 minutes from here called The Old Hen. We went there for breakfast. And, funnily enough, they do lots of egg based food!

They also do veggie/vegan food. Freyja had avo toast, and I had her poached egg. I had eggs and mushrooms on toast (and Freyja's poached egg :D ). Stephen had a full breakfast. The food was delicious - and so was the coffee which is so often a disappointment in places that concentrate on their food!

We have armed ourselves with travel cards, the equivalent of Myki/Oyster cards. Transport is quite cheap. There is a metro station right outside the hotel, by the shopping mall. Singapore is our oyster, so to speak.

So we took a train to Clarke Quay and then walked along the river bank towards the Merlion Park. My feet are not enjoying all the walking. This is disappointing. In the Before Times I could walk remarkably well. I'm not sure I can even blame the lockdowns for my lack of Foot Fitness. I suspect laziness is a more accurate description! Another disappointing thing is that I have forgotten to bring my Fitbit charger with me. Austin is, of course, quite right, that my health does not require a Fitbit - but the weekly challenge does. This might have been my opportunity to come towards the top of the leaderboard rather than towards the bottom.

I could, of course, set myself my own challenge to walk more when I get home!!!

We took a river cruise from the Merlion Park up beyond Clarke Quay. This was an excellent opportunity to sit down while admiring the city 😂 It takes about 45 minutes





There's a baby Merlion too, looking into the city, rather than out to sea:


We went to the Asian Civilisations Museum for a late lunch. We didn't actually go into the museum, but into their fancy pants restaurant, where we had fancy pants dim sum. An absolutely delicious, plant based lemon "chicken" plate, with plant based dumplings for Freyja, and meat and seafood dumplings for Stephen and me. They also threw in a fried, plant based dumpling each. It was all very lovely, and not all that expensive, considering we were in a Michelin mentioned, museum restaurant.

Freyja's very pretty lunchtime cocktail

Then we walked back along the river to Clarke Quay. It was much less humid. My feet seemed to be resigned to their fate. A nice, late afternoon walk.

We acquired wine and snacks in the supermarket across the road from the hotel. It was raining by then, so we repaired to the undercover area of the Level 4 garden for our evening wine and chat. Then Freyja and Stephen went in search of toast or sandwiches and I came back to my room. I had had enough to eat at our late lunch. However, I am hoping to be a bit hungry this evening - there is a pizza place in the foyer of the hotel. I would really like to try one of their pizzas


Sir Stamford Raffles



No comments:

Post a Comment