Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Wind, Rain, and some Sunshine

We certainly had Weather last week.   

There were very high winds and lots of rain. You would not have called it warm. And, in typical spring fashion, if the day cleared at all, it cleared in the late afternoon, early evening.

We don't usually get spectacular sunset colour at our place. We get to see the sunrises. You get the sunsets at Hill House, which overlooks the plain running towards the South Australia border. (You can't, of course, see that far, but on a good day you can see the Grampians in the far distance.)

Every now and then, though, and particularly when a wet day clears into a sunny evening, we get this, looking to the trees over our back fence



Then, at some point on Saturday, the weather cleared, the sun came out, the wind dropped. We were fortunate in that none of the surrounding trees fell or dropped branches on us.  I might even go wild today and collect all the twigs that are decorating the backyard - before the winds decide that we're getting lonely without them and come to visit again.

I can't remember if I have ever mentioned the Krooze In Cafe, which is just around the corner from us.  I can walk there in under 5 minutes. Under normal circumstances it is very popular at weekends with the local bikie community, although cafes and restaurants can only do take away service at the moment so the bikies are not there. I called in on a whim many weeks ago, when I was walking past on my way back from the post box. It's a reasonably typical Australian country cafe, distinguished by its 1950/60's American diner decor.  I've been in a couple of times since that initial impulse visit. The food is not bad, the weather on Sunday was very pleasant, so I decided to treat us to a take away lunch. 

On my way down the driveway, I ran across the hermit-like tenant of Unit 1. I think I have seen him 3 or 4 times in the nearly 2 years we have lived here. I have spoken to him just once before.  You don't often see any signs of life at all in his unit.  Anyway, it turns out that the people who have bought unit 1 are planning to move into it.  The people who bought unit 2 were planning to rent it out. This worked for him, so he was in the middle of swapping from #1 to #2.  This is good news. I was a bit worried when our lovely neighbours moved out; you can never tell what new neighbours might be like. But he is hardly going to be troublesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment