Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, September 19, 2020

Delivery

You may remember that we live at the top of a cul de sac. Ours is the last unit at the end of a driveway which runs along the fronts of the three units on the block. Once you get to the end of the driveway, you can't go any further.  And at the moment you can't get quite as far as the end, because I have a pile of gravel and a heap of soil in the way.

Over the side fence there is a path which runs from the back parts of Mount Helen down to our court. It's the most direct way on foot to get from the houses at the back of Mount Helen to the main road and thus to the buses, the University and the technology and government buildings in the trees on the far side of the main road. Over the back fence is a small piece of common land, covered in trees. I suppose a small car could navigate the path, but I think it would struggle when it got the trees.  Every now and then, a bloke on a ride on mower zips up and down the path and very occasionally someone on a motor bike uses it. But mostly it is people on foot, occasionally on bicycles, people walking their dogs. We never see the lights from traffic at our place.

So it was a bit disconcerting when a bright light shone into the bedroom at 4:30 this morning. I could hear an engine idling. As it happens, I was awake. I was listening to the news on the World Service on the radio. I think the lights would have woken me anyway. The blinds were closed but there is a small gap on either side which let the light in.

I didn't think it was the police, who would almost certainly have banged on the door and announced their presence. It seemed unlikely it was someone with nefarious intent. Evil doers tend to be slightly more subtle in their approach.  It was unlikely to be a social visit at that time of day. I got up to investigate.

And observed an orange clad bloke delivering a box to our front porch.  A delivery! At 4:30 in the morning!!!!!

I hadn't expected the Covid restrictions to be lifted quite as much as they have been in Regional Victoria, or not quite yet. So when I saw an advertisement for a Cook Along box with one of the former Masterchef judges I decided to get one. It was three meals from the Hellenic Republic which closed down before Covid hit. I thought it would make a nice treat for Jim and me. The Cook Along is in video format so no need to cook all three meals on Saturday at 5pm. I get to do some interesting Greek food, Jim and I get to eat it. Something interesting to do on a locked down weekend

I knew the box was coming today.  I was not expecting it at 4:30 am!!!  I brought the box in when the orange bloke had gone away, unpacked the contents and put them all in the fridge and went back to bed. I've looked in all the paper bags this morning and there are lots of fun things to play with. 

Regional Victoria is not that locked down any more. We can nominate one other household to have as social visitors. Restaurants and cafes are opening up again. Retail has sprung back into life, although we weren't as limited in our shopping choices as Melbourne has been. We can leave the house just because we feel like it and go anywhere we like in Regional Victoria. Not into Manky Melbourne, which is still locked down, and not interstate because the state borders are still closed. 

So to celebrate this unexpected freedom of movement, Lindsey and Ian are coming for lunch tomorrow. And we will Cook Along with George for a mighty Sunday lunch.  Each of the three meals is designed for two people. I figured if we cook them all we can have a pick and mix lunch. Anything that's left over will do for lunches during the week. I'll let you know how we get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment