Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Lunch with a Friend

 Well now.  That was exciting.

We actually went out to lunch.  With a friend.  We haven't been out for lunch with a friend for months!

Now that regional Victoria has opened up a little we can meet outside in small groups. The local cafes and restaurants have opened up again and can have small numbers inside and slightly larger numbers outside. And our friend Chris, who is one of the Sunday Lunchers, was coming to Ballarat to do some shopping.

The Sunday Lunchers haven't met since the beginning of the year because of various restrictions on gatherings and a lack of opportunity. So when Chris said she would be in Ballarat and should we meet for coffee, I thought YES we should.  Only we should meet for lunch.

So I booked us a table at Websters, which has outside spaces as well as inside spaces.  We were spectacularly lucky with the weather, which was sunny and relatively warm.  The space we were in did have a covering but I don't think it would have helped much had it been wet and cold. But it wasn't so it was a lovely couple of hours chatting, lunching and generally catching up. Jim also had a good time. He hasn't got out much since mid-March. He was a bit reluctant to come and risk exposure to the public but everyone in Ballarat is being quite careful, and we were outside where the risk on contracting any sort of pathogen is reduced. I think he also enjoyed having someone who wasn't me or close family to engage with. He definitely enjoyed his Websters' Breakfast and his glass of wine.  No wine for Chris and me. We were driving. I very much enjoyed my iced chocolate instead.

More lunching out is required, I think. Any (regional Victorian) volunteers?

It's another lovely morning today, though it is beginning to cloud over. I don't think it is supposed to rain though. And I am definitely not expecting snow!



Sunrise this morning, at about 05:45


No comments:

Post a Comment