Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Food

For some time now, I have been steaming fennel and leeks, with garlic, herbs, butter, whatever else I fancied, wrapped in foil and placed in the oven.  This produces lovely fennel and leeks but is a bit wasteful of foil. I decided to look out for a clay pot to use instead.

Then I remembered that I have this:


It was a present for my 60th birthday and lives on the dresser in the dining room. I haven't ever used it, being scared of breaking it. But it's a properly fired tagine and I figured it should be ok in the oven.  So I tried it, empty, in the oven, starting from cold and letting it warm up gently. And it didn't break. 

Right. Better than a foil package. So I filled it with vegetables, garlic, butter, mixed herbs and a bit of stock





45 minutes in a medium oven and it looked like this:



 
The tagine is clearly the way to go, although I also have a bamboo steamer which could be pressed into service more often than it is!

Sunday saw us hosting a Sunday Lunch for the first time in weeks.  Lindsey and Ian are our household "bubble" and came, bringing Rupert and Hugo with them.

I made up all three of the meals in my Cook Along box. And it was all very delicious. I will never buy beetroot dip again - who knew that it is so easy to make. The coleslaw was amazing. Lemon and thyme potatoes were a revelation. 

A mighty Greek Feast

Ancient grain salad, assorted dips with pita,
saganaki cheese


Swordfish with yoghurt, marinated chicken pieces, 
lemon potatoes and marinated shoulder of lamb

There was more than enough to feed 4 hungry adults, plus two greedy Great Danes.  I've never bought a cook along box before.  I will certainly do it again. It was lots of fun and drew my attention to things I hadn't though of before. Plus - there were leftovers.  I lerv leftovers!

Rupert and Hugo enjoyed being able to get out and visit. Since they were last here I have added the raised beds. They had a great time inspecting them, but had to be persuaded that I wasn't growing the cabbages and cauliflowers as a grazing table for them!




I love you, Lindsey, says Hugo

But I love your lunch even more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment