Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Sunshine, Wind and a Bit of Rain

Sunday was Father's Day in Australia.  It was also a beautiful day. Sunny, relatively warm, still.

I expected there to be multiple road blocks between Ballarat and Mount Martha. There had been an extensive advertising campaign imploring people to stay at home and not to go and visit their fathers but given the beautiful weather I thought people might be tempted to make a quick visit.

In fact there was very little traffic on the roads and no obvious police presence. We, of course, were not making a furtive visit to father but a perfectly legitimate care visit to mother. Didn't hurt that it was a lovely day :D

All in all, it was a good weekend. I did all the usual Saturday morning things - mushroom farm and farm gate shop. I did a bit of cooking, a bit of tidying. We did a bit of gardening. We took some food supplies to Mount Martha on Sunday and did a bit of tidying and sorting out there. We were stopped at Checkpoint Charlie on the way home, but they weren't really very interested in us. Asked where we had been and why,  then sent us on our way.

The wind picked up yesterday, although not enough to inconvenience us. By nightfall, however, it had got quite strong. It was very strong overnight. I was quite surprised to get up this morning and not to find large bits of tree scattered over the garden. Twigs and small things, yes. Huge bits of tree, no. However, we have no terrestrial television reception. None at all.  I went out to see if we still have a television aerial. And we do. But I am fairly sure it is now pointing in the opposite direction to where it was pointing yesterday! I have someone from Hire a Hubby coming on Monday to give me quotes for a couple of small jobs we need done. I shall get them to include the re-orientation of the aerial in with it.  Jim and I are definitely not shinning up a ladder onto the roof to play with TV aerials! In the meantime, we have digital options to play with so we won't be entirely without televisual excitement this week

There have been reports of trees and branches down around Ballarat and surrounds.  I have not been out today to inspect them. Partly because I had no reason to leave the house, partly because this morning was windy and rainy, partly because of inertia. Oh, and working on various bits of web related stuff for work, which (you will be surprised to learn) was considerably more complicated than I expected it to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment