Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Mushroom and stilton pies

When I was considering what to make for the Vegetarian Sunday-Lunch-on-a-Saturday last weekend I was browsing through various recipe books and ran across this recipe in Simon Rimmer's More from the accidental vegetarian.  I didn't consider it for the feast, because Freyja doesn't care for mushrooms at all and it seemed ridiculous to create a vegetarian dish that the visiting vegetarian would profoundly prefer not to eat!!

But I thought it looked delicious, so I made it last night.

I made a few changes.  I made a low fat pastry (flour and low fat sour cream) to line my individual pie pots with and then topped the pies with supermarket puff pastry, and I used black pepper from my pepper grinder rather than tinned green peppers, largely because I didn't have any tinned green peppers and I did have black pepper in my pepper grinder.  Also, instead of using vegetable stock I used 100 ml of (vegetarian-friendly) white wine, 50 ml of lemon juice and 100 ml of water. And I vastly prefer portobello mushrooms to the smaller mushrooms so I used those and cut them into eighths. There were no carrots in the version of the recipe which appears in the book, so I didn't include them though I might well do next time.

We had a little pie each, served with boiled potatoes and runner beans.  And it was absolutely lovely.  Really lovely.  There are more pies for tonight, which I am really looking forward to.  Even if you are not a vegetarian, or never eat meals that don't include something meaty I think you would still appreciate these pies (assuming, of course, that you do like mushrooms :- D )

No comments:

Post a Comment