Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, June 27, 2011

More belly pork

Last weekend, I was watching Saturday kitchen and one of the guest chefs cooked a piece of belly pork with a blueberry and chilli glaze and a feta salad.  On the Sunday, we went to the Nether Edge farmers' market and found a lovely piece of belly pork, which I bought and put aside for yesterday's Sunday roast.

I decided not to cook the belly pork according to the recipe, but put it with a chopped red onion and some chicken stock in a casserole with a lid and put it into a very low oven for a few hours.  While all that was going on, I made the blueberry glaze according to the recipe.  It didn't taste very chilli-like to me (and I am not a big fan of chilli - but this definitely needed rather more kick) so I added a healthy glug of sweet chilli sauce to beef it up a bit.

Then I took the pork belly and cut off the skin.  I glazed the meat with the blueberry glaze and then dumped the rest in with the stock and pork juices.  Then I put the skin back on top of the meat, turned the oven up to 170d and put the casserole back in the oven, minus its lid, for about 45 minutes or so, until the skin was very crackly indeed!

We had it with boiled new potatoes and not feta salad but baby vegetables from the garden.  It was extremely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment