Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gooseberries

The Under Gardener has been harvesting the gooseberries.  And then, topping and tailing them.  The first lot he picked came in at around 4kg (after topping and tailing).  The second (a more modest effort) came it at 1.3kg.  I will be interested to see how much this lot weighs in at:


There will, however, be no cherries, other than the few we've eaten from the trees.  The blackbirds have been in and scoffed the lot.  Not the morellos, which are not yet close to ready. But all the sweet cherries ;-(

On the other hand, nothing, not even the snails, is eating the lettuces, radishes, carrots and chard.  Nothing except us. And very delicious they are too. And the baby broad beans, not yet prolific, are delicious. They will become prolific, I hope.  There are lots of pods filling up. The Under Gardener has also now harvested all  the onions from the allotment. We've been putting them in the freezer. I suppose I ought to keep some of the red ones back for using fresh.  The Under Gardener is rather partial to some chopped red onion in his summer salads!

2 comments:

  1. you're so lucky being able to grow gooseberries. I love them, especially made into a fool. When I got my own garden I planted 3 bushes and hoped they would grow beautifully - I didn't have a clue that they're not best suited to a sub tropical climate and they all died :( I miss gooseberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love gooseberries and couldn't grow them in Australia. The Derbyshire (UK) climate, on the other hand, is not best suited to growing full sized tomatoes. We have to grow them in the greenhouse. Maybe you could get an anti-greenhouse to keep gooseberry bushes cold!!

    ReplyDelete