Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Christmas Party

The RMG Christmas party was at the Skinny Dog hotel in Kew on Sunday afternoon.

I had thought about going down with Lindsey and Ian. Ian was intending to come back to Ballarat so I thought I could hitch a ride back with him. But then he decided he would come back by public transport. If we had been in the city centre that would have been perfect but from Kew we would have had to take a tram into the city before catching the train back to Ballarat and then a taxi back to our houses. The trains only run once an hour on Sundays. I could see this taking a Very Long Time Indeed.

I went to Kew in my car.

The traffic was horrible once I got past Melton. It's usually quite well behaved on Sundays, so I assume some sort of accident or other impediment to progress. My sat nav took me off the freeway and along some back roads to avoid the delays, so I don't know what the problem was.

The party was fun. There were doctors and nurses and admin staff. There were family members. There were several babies and tiny children. There was plenty of finger food. I drank soda water because I was driving but there were lots of bottles of wine available and plenty of soft drinks.

Then Ian and I came home. The roads were clear and it didn't take anywhere near as long as it would have by tram, train and taxi.

Mind you - I'm glad I wasn't trying to get between here and Melbourne, or vice versa, yesterday afternoon. There were multiple car crashes, involving up to 30 vehicles, that closed the freeway in both directions between Bacchus Marsh and Ballan just in time for the Returning Home from Work traffic. Fortunately, no one was killed but it certainly created chaos.


Out partying in Kew


No comments:

Post a Comment