Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Boxing Day Lunch

When Jim and I went to England in March 2020 we had intended to make a train trip through Spain, France and Switzerland. My cousin Rosie and her family live in France but she works in Geneva and we had arranged to meet there for lunch while we were around.

Alas, Covid intervened, the train trip was called off and we came back to Australia.

Rosie was intending to come to Australia. with her family, the following Christmas. That didn't happen either.

I was a bit worried when she contacted me to say that they were trying again and expected to be in Melbourne for this Christmas. If Rosie and I hatched another plan to meet, what pestilence, plague or other disaster might we unleash on the world?

As it happens - no worldwide disasters unfolded and Rosie, Jon and their two boys made it safely to Mount Helen for lunch yesterday. Lindsey, Ian and Stella came down from Hill House. Wendy was still here. Matt and William came from Warragul. Freyja and Simon had intended to come but Freyja was struck with some sort of stomach bug and they beat a retreat back to Melbourne (I hope that wasn't the start of a worldwide disaster - although none of the rest of us have been struck down. Yet!)

We had chicken, ham, scallops and spring rolls. We had the obligatory roast potatoes. We had a fruit platter and lots and lots of chocolate. I didn't make the (vegan) vegetable tart I had intended to make. I did make a festive "trifle" salad which was vegan friendly. I didn't get the message saying that Freyja was sick until after I had put in the vegan cheese.



Lindsey had made a KitKat house. Tommy had a great time smashing it with a ladle




My cats are usually very suspicious when lots of people come around, especially if they are people that they don't know well. Usually, they hide in my bedroom. They liked Tommy and Miki though (to my surprise - they are usually even more suspicious of children; they don't see many of them)



It was a good afternoon. And then everyone went away back to their homes and holiday places. I was early to bed. It's been a busy few days



Rosie and Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment