Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Mud and Stuff

 Lindsey and I went to the Zoo Drive market on Saturday morning. It was cool and grey but not actually wet. Underfoot, however, it was extremely muddy. My black shoes ended up a kind of mottled brown and black and they weren't really suitable for struggling round a muddy paddock. Not that it its a paddock, but it was definitely muddy. Next time I might look out my walking shoes and see if they still fit!!

I took the opportunity on Saturday afternoon to wander round to the reserve/building site and see what they've been doing.  Among other things they seem to have been putting in the foundations of a road And creating even more mud than there was at Zoo Drive!):



It's not a very long wander, just down the driveway and then back up along the path on the other side of the fence leading to the tiny little woodland over the back fence:



That's our place, from the back

We were supposed to be going to Macedon on Sunday to have lunch with Chris and John and Irene and Gillie. Alas, Jim refused his pre-breakfast cup of tea, refused breakfast, and went back to bed. And there he stayed pretty much all day. I didn't feel that I could leave him to his own devices while I pottered off for a leisurely lunch. Fortunately, Chris and John have friends who live locally who were more than willing to ride to the rescue and eat our share of cauliflower soup, salmon and steamed pudding. 

I slept in the spare room on Sunday night so as not to disturb Jim. I have to say that the spare bed, which once upon a long time ago was Emily's and which came to us from a garage or a shed when we moved into Tani #1, is very comfortable. If I didn't sleep as well as I might have done it was partly because I was sleeping on the "wrong" side of the bed. I dropped onto the side closest to the door, which is where Jim would usually sleep and it just felt wrong.  The cats didn't care.  They curled up around me and slept the night away. It's a nice bedroom. We should holiday in there from time to time :-)

Jim woke up fine and dandy on Monday morning. Next time I'll get in a Jim-sitter and leave him behind!

I have finally assembled the new clothes line:



It wasn't as simple as the box said it would be, although it became easier as I worked out what was going on.

Whiskey doesn't mind the puddles, damp and coolth of the courtyard. He enjoys it out there.


Brandy also goes out, but he very much prefers the dry and the warmth of the house


It was Austin and then Tatsuki's birthdays on Friday and Sunday. They seemed to have a good time celebrating. I showed Brandy to Tatsuki when I was speaking to him one Sunday and he declared Brandy to be "very scary".  Brandy isn't scary, he's the smallest, fluffiest, softest cat in the whole world. Not in the least bit scary!

And so we reach the mid-point of the year. It seems to be galloping by, although I was looking at my photos for this year yesterday and they all seem to be of sunrises and sunsets, cats, dogs and trees. My calendars for 2022 are going to be very dull unless I find some more interesting things to portray! I must look for interesting things to do in the second half of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment