Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Saturday, June 19, 2021

At EXACTLY 7am yesterday morning, a giant blue dragon appeared in the site over the front fence, with blazing eyes and a huge roar.  It startled the cats and more than attracted my attention.

I assume that council regulations or perhaps state requirements mean that construction work can't start before 7am and I understand that workers should be allowed to work during permitted times. But this was very close to local houses and it was nowhere near sunrise. It's not so bad when they are in the middle of the site, but right up by the fence was pushing it a bit, I think. These photos were taken a little after the dragon had arrived when it was starting to get light:







It was properly daylight by the time the trucks turned up to take the piles of soil away:



As it happens, it didn't disturb me. I had been up for a couple of hours and was pottering around anyway. I'm glad I didn't have small children, though.

We were up looking after Rupert and Hugo for most of yesterday. I think they were happy to have us there:

Jim and Rupert watching TV in the morning

Hugo and me watching TV in the late afternoon

Brandy was also pleased when I got home early in the evening. So was Whiskey but he was pleased from a distance:



Jim has had his final (I hope!) visit to the dental technician and now has a full set of teeth. I'm hoping that once the teeth settle in we can eat something other than soft food. We had (homemade) fish and chips last night and I have chicken for tonight but I am thinking something a bit more challenging for tomorrow. I have some lamb backstrap in the freezer. We might attempt that.

I put in a Diggers seed and plant order a week or so ago. Seed potatoes and asparagus crowns. Broad bean seeds. Member's pot luck seeds. And what I thought were 2 rhubarb crowns. Instead what I got was two packets of rhubarb seeds!!!  I've never grown rhubarb from seed and if both packets all germinate I'm going to have an enormous farm of rhubarb. I'll certainly try the seeds, since I've got them. But I might get some crowns as well, to be on the safe side.  Lindsey wants some rhubarb for Hill House. She may be getting more than she had bargained for 😂

It's wet, foggy and gloomy this morning. I hope it dries up a bit. I would quite like to get out into the garden later today. Although I do have a clothes line and two small wooden boxes to assemble. I could usefully do those if the weather doesn't improve.






No comments:

Post a Comment