Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, June 04, 2021

Lockdown Thursday

Yesterday marked the end of the original seven day lockdown across Victoria. It's been extended in Greater Melbourne for another seven days but was eased a little in Regional Victoria from midnight. We are still under some restrictions (no visitors at home, for example) but at least the requirement to stay at home unless absolutely necessary has been lifted. 

So a quiet, peaceful day at home on the last day of lockdown for us. The district nurse came to help Jim shower.  An occupational therapist rang to discuss coming to do a home safety assessment. I did a few useful things around the house. And FINALLY, I got around to washing the windows along the front of the house.

We've lived in this house since November 2018 and have not washed the windows on the front of the house in that time - apart from the narrow window by the front door which gets wiped down every now and then. This has partly been because of the (perceived) difficulty of getting to them. Shrubs and garden beds in front of some of the windows made getting to them a bit daunting. The large fly screens were also a bit off putting. 

However, we dug up the garden bed outside our bedroom windows when we first bought the house. There is absolutely no impediment to accessing the spare bedroom window. The lounge room windows didn't seem all that hard to get to. And all the windows were distinctly mud spattered when the sun shines on them.

So I made myself take down the fly screens yesterday, after the district nurse had gone. I washed the windows inside and out. I dried them with a soft cloth. Then I realised that I couldn't get the fly screens back on! I can do the ones along the side and the back of the house but the front ones are bigger and were being very stubborn. But I knew that they could go back on. The people in units 1 and 2 often take them off and put them back. I went and had a look at the fly screens on unit 2. And realised that I was seriously over complicating things.  The screens didn't need to be slotted back into grooves.  They slide in and are then clipped into place.  Took 2 seconds each!  I must remember for next time. And really should wash the windows slightly more often than every two and a half years. They're lovely and clear now.

I might do the windows on the side of the house today, if it doesn't rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment