Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, October 02, 2020

Welcome

Once Tani became ours, Jim and I started talking about whether or not to get a pet.

Jim wasn't keen to get a cat. Marlo had been such a lovely cat and no cat could ever match him.

But there was no point getting a dog.  We more or less already have two dogs. They don't live at our place and, strictly speaking, they aren't ours. But they don't know that. They think they live in a pack of six, four of whom come and go at random intervals.

There was no hurry about this so I let it go but kept an eye on the cats at the Ballarat Animal Rescue Shelter. I was clear that I didn't want a kitten. I would have been happy with a calm, older cat but didn't really want an ancient cat. Something around 2 or 3 years old would be ideal.

Then I saw a really pretty, ginger and white cat, not quite two years old.  I showed his photo to Jim who thought he was a real beauty.  He didn't object when I said that I might send in an expression of interest.

The response I got said that he was a bit shy but enjoyed snuggling with his brother.  Hmm, thought I. They are not advertised as a bonded pair, but I bet they are. And by the time I went out to meet the pretty cat, they were indeed a bonded pair. And the second one is a 10 month old kitten!

Lindsey and I went to pick them up yesterday


Shmukkles, now Whiskey because
who would ever call a cat Shmukkles?

Shmukkles is now called Whiskey because I was never going to keep that name and had to come up with an alternative name at short notice, and it seemed an appropriate counter to Brandy. It is spelled with the E because that is how the shelter staff spelled it on his adoption certificate, his council registration certificate and on his change of microchip notification. I wouldn't have spelled it that way, but it hardly seemed worth arguing.

When you take rescue cats home, the recommendation is that you sequester them in a small room for a week or two until they settle in and get used to their new home and new people. That lasted all of - oh, no seconds. Whiskey was very keen to explore his new home. Every square inch of it.  Brandy has been a bit more circumspect but has checked the place out slowly and surely.

They slept in the spare room last night and were waiting to come out for breakfast when I got up at around 5 (this is not unusual; I am often up at around that time). They seem to be settling in

What do you think is out there?



Hello! So this is where you were all night


This is a very comfortable bed.
It can be mine

I too will check this bed out

So welcome to Brandy and Whiskey. I understand that they came from a home where there were many cats and the number had to be reduced. They are in good condition and have obviously been taught their manners. I think they will make a fine addition to the Tani household (although I think Whiskey is going to be quite cheeky when he properly settles in!)

In other news, my Japanese fox, the acolyte of the Rice god Inari, this morning acquired a halo. I take this as a Good Omen


No comments:

Post a Comment