Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, October 26, 2020

Long Weekend

I was soundly sleeping at just before 4:00 on Sunday morning.  This is unusual for me these days.  I tend to sleep really well until 2 or 3, then wake up and then just doze until it's time to get up around 5:30/6:00.

Sound asleep, I was.  Until Jim and I were jolted awake by an almighty crash in the kitchen.

Not Brandy.  Brandy had also been peacefully sleeping on our bed until the crash happened when, as is the way with startled cats, he silently translocated from the top of the bed to underneath the bed.

So Whiskey.  What has he done?  I leapt out of bed, had the presence of mind to put my slippers on, and went down to the kitchen to find out what had happened.

There was no cat.  There was, however, a huge amount of glass on the floor, scattered far and wide.  There were also grapefruit, apples and oranges on the floor, which had been in a glass fruit bowl when I went to bed!

It is seldom part of my daily plan to be sweeping and vacuuming at 4 in the morning. But needs must. And then it had to be done again when day broke and the sun caused much glinting on the carpet.

And no, he is not supposed to be on the kitchen bench.  This does not seem to bother him while we are asleep. Or absent, I suppose. I have reverted to putting things out of harms way when retiring for the night. No more fruit bowls on the edge of the kitchen bench.

It was a good long weekend.  I did some cooking (apple and blueberry tart tatin, anyone?) and some gardening. We pottered about and watched some TV.  Lindsey and I went shopping today (not a holiday but neither of us works on Mondays, although I did put in a few hours of web-related stuff). 

In other news, Stella has gone into hospital today. This is not entirely desirable under the current public health circumstances, but she has had an infected ankle for sometime which is not responding to treatment, plus she is having more difficulty breathing than usual. She is hoping only to be in for a couple of days, assuming they don't kidnap her and keep her for ever, which has happened in the past.

As the number of new Covid cases has been dropping in Victoria over recent days, I said to Lindsey that on the day when we reached an unequivocal zero I would open a bottle of sparkling wine.  After 139 (I think) days since the last time, today we reached an unequivocal zero cases. I have opened this:




No comments:

Post a Comment