Bell Avenue, Mount Helen August 2024

Monday, September 02, 2024

Weather

It has been faintly irritating, over the past few days, listening to people on the radio and TV talking about how many parts of Australia have been unseasonably warm, even hot. I have not been hot, or even warm. In Ballarat it has been decidedly on the cool side. I have been listening to these reports of heat and warmth while snuggled under the heated couch throw, fire lit, wearing thick winter jumpers. I agree that 40° is rather too hot, especially at the tail end of winter, but something slightly warmer than the 9° that is the forecast high in Ballarat today would be nice.

It would be even nicer if the strong, strong winds would die down a bit. It has been unbelievably windy over the past two or three days. I am lucky that I have electricity. So many places in Victoria do not. I am also lucky that none of the local trees have blown onto my house, or any other houses immediately round me. The worst I have is twigs, some small branches and a bit of bark. Oh - and the "greenhouse" has blown over. Not a big problem - there were no plants in it and I was thinking of moving it anyway.

There are twigs and small branches everywhere

Brandy is not enjoying the wind, or the disruption

I wondered what this was when I first glimpsed it
It's quite a large piece of bark that
wasn't in the front yard when I locked up last night

It is still very windy this morning but at least the sun has come out. I would be tempted out into the garden were it not for the wind and the fact that it's about 5° outside. I may settle for tidying up inside, rather than out.

I brought the daffodils, tulips and jonquils in before the storms arrived. There weren't a lot, but I figured they would be safer in a vase in the lounge room rather than taking their chances under the fruit trees.

Sunny and cheerful


I couldn't bring the peach blossom in, or not if I want any chance of peaches. I am happy to report it is still on the tree. It's a very small tree and protected by the fence, but I am pleased and a bit surprised anyway. I had two peaches last season and they were delicious.


Apart from the wind, it was a fairly quiet weekend. It was cold and drizzly or cold and rainy. And windy. So there wasn't much incentive to go outside. Or even out, although I did go shopping with Lindsey later yesterday morning. Apart from that, nothing exciting to report.


Some of us are enjoying the electric chair throws:




2 comments:

  1. I'd send you some summer but we haven't had any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be quite happy with some nice spring weather. It hasn't been too bad today. The wind has settled and It hasn't been absolutely freezing. I even did a bit of grass chopping

      Delete