Bell Avenue, Mount Helen August 2024

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

My Garden is Lying to Me

This is what the garden says is happening:

 






But this is what is really happening:


Whiskey is lying on an electric blanket.
I thought it was mine but ...

We have had hail storms and freezing rain storms. We haven't had snow in Mount Helen but there was snow on Mount Buninyong and it tried hard here (could only manage the hail, though). I don't think the thermometer reached double figures on Saturday. I did not go to the market!

I am certain that my garden mojo has gone to Bali or Fiji to soak up some heat. I can see exactly what needs to be done but the impetus is not there when the temperature is a mere 5℃ outside, rising, if we are lucky, to perhaps 12 or 13. I have ordered more supplies for the fire, which are due sometime later this morning. I have made vegetable soup and some meaty stews. I have put my winter jumpers back on.

I would be quite pleased if the weather were to warm up just a little bit.


I was pottering around on the internet yesterday afternoon and came across the surprising (to me, at least) news that at the end of last year the Air Balloon pub at Birdlip near Gloucester (UK) had been demolished to enable the widening of the road and the improvement of what had been, it is true, a difficult roundabout. I don't suppose I would have been likely to have visited the Air Balloon again, but Jim and I used to stop there for lunch, from time to time, when we were going from Tupton to Salisbury. And Jim is the only person that I know who would have been remotely interested in the news. I was saddened by the loss of the pub, and a bit wistful about not having anyone to share the news with. (I did tell Jim, but he didn't respond.  Brandy and Whiskey weren't all that interested either ๐Ÿ˜‚.) The Highwayman, down the road heading towards Cirencester is, apparently, still there. We used to call in there, from time to time, as well. The food was more interesting at The Highwayman but the hours at the Air Balloon were more convenient.

We didn't stop in either of them the last time we were in England, early in 2020, just before covid properly hit, although we almost certainly drove past them. According to the blog, we had not very nice food  for lunch in the motorway services. The blog doesn't say why we did this - I assume that the timing wasn't right for lunch in the Air Balloon.

No comments:

Post a Comment