Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer picnic in the garden

We had some American friends over for lunch on Saturday. I thought it unlikely that the visiting children would enjoy whatever I cooked. Children are extremely conservative, usually, when it comes to food, and expect things that look familiar to taste familiar - and British food and American food I think usually do not taste the same. American chocolate is much sweeter; I am given to understand that bread is sweeter too, in the States.  So I decide to do an Australian-style picnic that we could have in the garden if the weather was fair. And then the children could pick and choose what they ate.

So I did some cold sausages, some chicken nuggets and some chicken legs.  I also made a quiche. Then I raided the garden and the supermarket and the freezer and made a green salad, a rice salad and some soda bread.  Very much to my surprise I found some freddo frogs in the supermarket too, so I made frogs in a pond for dessert.  We were lucky with the weather. The food was enjoyed by the adults (the children enjoyed the raspberries that they found growing in the garden, and the chocolate frogs!), and we are enjoying the left overs. Left over rice salad turns into a rather nice fried rice for Sunday lunch!





No comments:

Post a Comment