Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, July 29, 2011

Getting ready for Japan - yes, really, this time!

Goodness me, thought I on Tuesday evening. We really ought to do something practical about going to Japan, otherwise we'll be spending all our travelling money not on food and wine and tourist attractions, but on clothes and toiletries and things.  I realise I don't usually pack quite so early, but we're off after work on Thursday, and out on Wednesday evening so that more or less leaves now!

So I armed myself with a glass of wine and set to. I packed rather more than I usually do for a trip away, although quite a lot of it seems to be stuff for other people. But even so, there are more clothes than I usually take for us both.  Never mind. It's done now, and at least the suitcases are on wheels.

Marlo, in the meantime, is suspicious!!

I think that's done. I have my laptop at work, and all the travel documents (was exciting when there was a fire alarm and we all had to evacuate! Really wouldn't do for the passports and travel money to go up in a burning building right now this very minute!!). The Builder has the suitcases and his laptop. I have worked out how to get to the guest house. I have checked in to tomorrow's flights (though couldn't print out a boarding card; but at least they know we're coming). I've backed up my laptop on the external hard drive (no point doing The Builder's, alas). All ready to rock and roll :-)

Last evening, then, Taffa, Cally, The Builder and I met at Freyja's allotment, partly so The Builder could inspect the peas and potatoes, and put tape up to deter the pigeons, and partly because Tabitha had never actually found it and didn't know where it was (and she and Gaz are in charge for the moment).  The peas have come up, and so have some of the potatoes.  We're impressed about the potatoes, for they had gone in quite late and had gone a bit soft.

Peas looking quite healthy

Potatoes gamely struggling on
 Then we went back to Nettleham Road for a bit of a sit down, and met Gareth, when he had finished work, at Kito's (where we went with Freyja after that first amazing adventure, hunting for the allotment and not going to Japanese class) for pizza. And then we went home, arriving in good time for me to have my regular Wednesday evening chat with Tony.

Right then.  Time to go.  I hope that the next time we commune, that I will be in Tokyo :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment