Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Monday, July 04, 2011

River Cottage Summer Party

So what, you may wonder, had taken us down to Dorset/Devon for the weekend? And what, you may ponder, had caused us to book it while in Melbourne, so much earlier in the year? What might it have been that had inspired me to go wild - and put on a skirt? It was, of course, the River Cottage Members Summer Party which we went to last year and which we really, really enjoyed.

And this year it was even better!!

The weather was absolutely beautiful and we greatly enjoyed our elderflower champagne while wandering around the gardens, nibbling on canapes.  A cat came up to talk to us. There were cheerful chickens. The RC broad beans are not as high as ours, but the gardens were looking lovely. And the borage plants were amazingly flowery.

Borage flowers


I don't think there were quite so many people there this year as last.  Certainly, I wasn't as cramped on my seat as I had been last year.

Not bad for a tent!


And our neighbours at the table were lovely. It was a chatty, happy evening which was worth absolutely every penny the whole weekend cost us. The food was delicious. The English white wine was definitely more-ish (nearly put Moorish, which would have been very appropriate for the Moroccan inspired main course!!). I went outside at one point and found a sunset the like of which you almost never see in England. It really was just a lovely evening. 

Tuscan sunset in Dorset


I had completely forgotten to do anything about organising a taxi for the evening and rather alarmed the lady at the local taxi company when I rang after breakfast to book one.  Getting out to River Cottage HQ wasn't a problem.  "But," she said, "it might be more difficult to get you back. We're pretty much booked up for the return trip.  What time did you want to come back?"  This was a worry. Unless you are a teetotaller you really don't want to be driving back from a River Cottage do.  Fortunately, I have no wish to stay until midnight. I can't hear anything over the band, once it starts. And in any case, my bedtime is usually 10 or 10:30. midnight is usually a great struggle for me.  The lady at the taxi company was mightily relieved when I asked for a return at 11.  But I must remember to book it much sooner next year

No idea what he said!
The photo album is here

No comments:

Post a Comment